Setting up your own business and seeing it grow beyond your wildest dreams, is known to be the most rewarding and stressful ventures anyone can undertake. Starting your own business allows you to pursue your passion, work for yourself and provide flexibility to your schedule.
Lots of startups have turned into growing small businesses in the UK. According to The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the economy is substantially helped by the growth of SME businesses. Of private businesses in the UK, SMEs account for “5.8 million businesses ” that are contributing heavily to their respective industries. The small to medium sizes businesses in the UK helped to employ “around 16.3 million people, contributing to 60%” of all jobs in the UK. The total employment across all private sector businesses increased from “27.0 million at the start of 2018 to 27.5 million at the start of 2019″ a growth of 2%.
The continuous growth for any business can be propelled further through its marketing and advertising strategy. The strategy taken is dependent on the needs and aims of each business, from creating brand awareness to promoting a store opening.
Here are a few ways that five SMEs are using billboard advertising to generate interest from potential customers
1. Giving directions – Grabex
The simplest technique which provides clarity and helps cut through the static of modern-day life. Directional messaging should be simple, easy to read and informative to where you are located. Directional messaging is a great tool to utilise in your design, when opening a new store, moving locations or when you are located off the main road. Using visuals that are instantly recognisable, halting any confusion and pointing them in your direction, can be a tool to get people through the door.
Grabex Windows manufacture and install windows, doors, sliding & bi-folding systems, glass roof and bespoke glazing products for residential and trade customers from London, Kent, and South East England. No matter the change in design, Grabex Windows uses a nearby billboard site to consistently make customers aware of how close they are to their store. Whilst revising the design to stay fresh and grab the attention needed to attract decision-makers.
Tips for a great directional campaign
- Showcase exactly where you are – give a distance, show a map or say how many roads away from your billboard you are located.
- Keep it simple – add only the information that will allow them to make a decision.
- Make it memorable – keep it on brand and visual.
2. Promotions – Ironmongery
A promotional billboard campaign will assist in reviving interest or getting rid of old stock, for businesses having an in-store or online promotion. However, billboard advertising can help cast a larger net and aid your promotion to reach more customers. This increases the possibility for them to become long-standing customers once they have been enticed through the door. As the UK’s largest supplier of specialist ironmongery, providing over 18,000 quality products in stock, ready for next day delivery. Ironmongery Direct highlighted their promotion with a simple yet eye-catching design, allowing the driver to know within seconds what they sell and that they have a promotion available.
Tips for a great promotional campaign
- Make it clear – Use the best promotion you have on at the time.
- Make it visual- Show what product you have on promotion
- Keep it on brand- Make it clear who the promotion is with.
- Call to action – Give them a website or social media to find out more about the promotion.
3. Opening soon – Prestige Cars
The expansion plans are an important indicator that your business is growing and the demand for your product/ services is needed by the customers. Retaining the high demand needed for your products will continue to help your business grow. As one of the fastest-growing car dealerships adopting a fresh approach in its selling of hundreds of cars each year has allowed them to rapidly expanded. Prestige cars Kent launched their campaign to promote the new maintenance facility opening in Orpington, Kent. Allowing road users to become familiar and understand the services available once they are open.
Tips to a great opening soon campaign
- Keep it simple – have the focus be your brand and what you do.
- Tell them where you will be – showcase your upcoming address
- Call to action- give them your contact information so they can get your company updates.
4. Brand awareness – Willow Estates
A great way to kickstart your brand’s journey to gain potential customers. This allows them to fully understand and digest what your brand has to offer. A brand awareness campaign can and should be the most visual and consist of limited wording. Drivers already have a limited time to read the information they see. For over a quarter of a century Willow Estates have served within the boundaries of the m25, encourage and facilitating investment from within the communities they serve. A brand awareness campaign is also great to establish and gain notoriety through the sleek design you showcase. Willow Estates billboard campaign is a great example of how establishing your brand with image, slogan and your logo can generate a reaction.
Tips to a great brand awareness campaign
- Keep it simple – use your logo, a slogan, phone number and an image of what you do.
- Make it visual – Have the image speak more words than is actually on your design
- Make it memorable – keep it on brand and visual
5. Impact campaign – Gold Bank London
Creating that `wow’ moment can be the start of a solid gold growth. With it not necessarily being an outlandish inappropriate message or image. But something as simple as a question provoking the start of a debate and intrigue by the viewer. Allowing an individual to feel as they could be missing out is sometimes the best impact a campaign could have. Gold Bank Uk prides themselves on reputation, quality service and evolving our services to give the best possible experience for our customers. A great example is Gold Bank London stating that “millions of people are investing in gold should you?”
Tips to a great brand awareness campaign
- Make a statement – Allow your message to start a positive conversation in the mind of your customers.
- Make it visual – Have the image speak more words than is actually on your design.
- Call to action– Make your contact details stand out. When your customers have an answer you want them to be able to call or go to your website.